Phonics and Reading Support
Did you know these reading facts?
1. Reading to your child helps in early language development.
2. Read 20 minutes a day and you'll read 1,800,00 words per year.
3. Reading is the fastest way to build vocabulary. You can learn 4,000 to 12,000 words per year through reading.
4. Every book counts. If you read just one book a day to your child, they will have been read 1825 books by their 5th birthday!
4. Reading improves brain function and increases knowledge.
Here at Tiger Primary School we use Read Write Inc. As our phonics scheme. Read Write Inc. is a literacy program developed by Ruth Miskin for teaching children to read and write it is based on systematic synthetic phonics. It includes a range of materials, including books, phonics cards, and training for teachers.
The program is designed to be used in small groups, with children receiving daily instruction in phonics, reading, and writing. The program is designed to be used with children aged 4 to 7 and is intended to be used as a whole-school approach to teaching literacy. Parents can support their children's learning by listening to them read and practicing phonics at home.
Click below to watch short videos on commonly asked questions.